Thursday, April 10, 2014

Saskatchewan (Postal: SK)


John Martin Crawford, serial killer







I was told, at work today, that I sounded like a  serial killer.

This was a statement that came from my boss.

And without any hint of irony or humor.



                                                *                      *                      *



The origin of this response was in a casual conversation where myself and a co-worker commented, with compliment, on how well she wears the color orange.

Orange being a very difficult color to pull off on most skin-tones.

She egged on the conversation with comments about how easily she tans/burns; how she frequently shelters her children from the sun to prevent their burning fleshing being a marked memory of unpleasantness with regards to the sun.

I offered up a minor, Proustian memory of sunburns and my childhood:

I remember all the times spent at the beach, where my grandparents lived, and laying about in the sun, or the waves, without suntan lotion (it was the 80s) and almost enjoying being burned, if only to enjoy the innocent pleasure of the feel of the burn, combined with the lotion, combined with the cold Oregon sheets of my grandma’s bed.

It was something that relaxed me. It was a pain that I found to be comforting, in the effort to combat it.

And it was reliable.



                                                *                      *                      *



The woman in question (my boss) responded, with a confused look on her face, with the following:

“That sounds like something a serial killer would say…”

She quickly retreated from the conversation, leaving my co-worker and I with only our own subjective opinions on the topic left us:

“What the fuck?”

“Yeah. That seemed really inappropriate. Even if she thought that, she shouldn’t have said it.”



                                                *                      *                      *



My co-worker and I decided upon, as an inside joke, to refer to me as “SK” (or, “serial killer”).

We made a rush of jokes regarding the topic, putting the phrase into normal conversation:

“You just described a detailed account of why what happened was wrong. That was some real “SK” behavior!”

“You know you just exhibited some perfect “SK”…”

We did this for the remainder of the day. Something private, something special; shared and understood.



                                               *                      *                      *



JOHN MARTIN CRAWFORD- Crawford committed his first murder in 1981 two days before Christmas after meeting a woman at the bar. He was convicted of that murder and was sentenced to jail until 1989 after being paroled. Only 3 years after being released John Crawford went on to kill 3 more Aboriginal women in Saskatchewan. He was finally caught and convicted in 1996 of the 3 murders and got 3 concurrent life sentences and is serving his time in Saskatchewan Penitentiary. His trial was at the same time as the "BERNARDO" trial. John Crawford is also suspected of 3 other murders that happened in Saskatoon.