Wednesday, October 23, 2013

THE TWILIGHTS, a serial novel - Part I







OLIVER


I saw him come in through the first door, the one with the armaments. I had just finished tending to Michael, after he had been done. He was breathing fine, but there was something that kept me staying there, wanting to make sure the breathing kept, but it did so I went out and saw them bring him in. He wasn’t fighting at first, like most of ‘em, but after he saw the floor he started to budge a little and then he started to blast.

They told him:  “Nathaniel, keep still! Keep still!”

That didn’t keep him still.

He fell to the floor, flat, and they called me over to help. I helped as best I could and got him at least to his knees. That was when they knocked him back down for looking up. I told ‘em to keep calm, but one basted me in the fact with his fist and I fell flatter than he did, only I got up faster, knowing faster meant better.

I said:  “I better get back to Michael. He’s in bad shape.”

One of them said:  “You get this queer to a room, right quick!”

The hospital had a hall for every problem and a room for every incident. My hall was for the queers and that seemed to be where the trouble laid. I don’t believe that queers are good, but I get paid for a job and I do it. The job I’d want to do was something I couldn’t do so I did this, and did it well.

They said they were a disease and I wanted to cure, to help, to make sure they came out well.

Only they didn’t really come out. But I don’t ever think that was my fault.

I said to the new guy:  “Just be still. Be all right. Follow me and don’t be dumb.”

I took him to a fresh room, one with a clean bed at least. He asked him my name and I said it, only quiet. I like to keep quiet like that.

He said that he hates the name Nathanial and would rather be called Nate. I call him Nate now. Just because it makes him happy, not because it’s his name.

The room I led him to stunk, but only because someone died there and no one bothered to open the windows.

Nate was lucky because there were windows to open. Most new guys got the back rooms because they were better to make the change over time more quickly. But if that didn’t work they went where the lowest electric bill was.

I told Nate:  “Just calm down. Just calm down. It’ll be better that way and you’ll be better that way. I promise.”

He gritted his teeth and then, after a second, spit right at me.

He said:  “Fuck you and yours!”

I nodded and left the room. Once outside, I asked the men what had happened.

They said, almost altogether, that it was none of my business and that I should get back to work and that someone had taken a shit in room 228, and that I should deal with that instead.

I go to room 228 and don’t find any shit just blood and a cough and a cough

a cough I couldn’t contain.





MICHAEL



They didn’t say castrate, they said cure. So I saved my rage for them, when it would be easy to rage then, but it was too hard to do anything but hold my hands down there and swear. But I only swore to myself because anything else would only hurt more.

They told me that it was for the best for me and for society and for the good of the good. I’m not one to care about the good, the better, or even the best. I don’t care about anything but my balls and how they took those away, like kids hiding marbles in their pockets just in order to win.

My father always said I was a faggot and I told him right. Right to his face. He went blank and I went back here and here I think I’ll stay.

I’m in too much pain now to feel a change, or much of anything besides pain.

There were places I used to go, places that gave me pleasure that nobody but pleasure knew about. There was a park back home where I could go and find someone who would lick my balls and I would come on their chin and on the grass. They would give me a kiss on the cheek and ask for my number and I wouldn’t give them that but would still take theirs, just in case. There is no case for that now, I guess. There is no case to even consider.

I once told a guy I’d blow him only if he came in five minutes.

He came in two.

The other one grabbed my head and pushed it down into the pavement until I felt like rubber meat, bleeding out of one eye until I was blind. I couldn’t see the kicks coming, and so I always sucked my gut in, always ready for whatever would come. For whatever reason, after the last three kicks to the gut, I came in my pants and then the boot came down and I can’t remember anymore.

There was another time when I was in a store, in a bathroom, and taking a piss. I had had a lot to drink and was taking a long time getting rid of it all when another guy came in and started to piss next to me, even though there was four other open places to piss away from me. But he chose the one place next to me.

I took this as a kinda invitation, so I looked down at his cock and he looked up at me and smiled. He was kinda hard, which made me get kinda hard, and then I put my hand up against the bathroom wall and I leaned a little bit towards him.

He grabbed my hand and threw it behind my back. With his cock still out and half-hard he told me I was under arrest. He told me I was soliciting. That I was inciting a lewd act against nature.

That was when I was taken to the station and after 36 hours of waiting and questioning I was sentenced to coming here, where I could be rehabilitated.

I didn’t think there was anything other than the arresting officer that needed rehabilitation.

He was the one with the hard cock.

But I’m the one without balls, sitting in a bed with some asshole coming in and out to see how I’m doing.

I’m doing fine, thank you cunt-swipe. I’m doing just fine.





OLIVER


Michael and Nate are doing fine, at least to me. Susan thinks I’m not doing enough to handle Michael, but she’s dumb and hates what I do anyway.

“Where’s Michael?” Susan says to me.

“I don’t see him in his room and there’s no trace whatsoever…”

I tell her that he is probably taking a walk, just so he knows he can.

If I had been castrated, I probably would at least want to walk it off.

I tell Susan:  “What do you care? You give him medicine in the morning, and it’s only noon.”

I’m done with fooling for hope. This job only barely pays for my rent, let alone for my kids and girlfriend. We struggle like keeping the kicking chair something that’s stable. It isn’t stable and I can’t breathe when I’m around queers that say they’ve done nothing wrong. They know they’ve done wrong and still won’t say so and that makes a hurricane of bullshit that only makes me hate them more even when I’m paid to care for them, even though that means I’m a moron that feel sorry for queers and have to take care of them to keep the food on the table for my family.

It’s about time to not stand for it. Or at least to pass a law so I don’t feel so bad.

I’m told to go see to Cal, just to see he’s breathing. He is.

I ask him:  “How are you doing?”

He stares at me like a stone statue.

I ask him:  “Do you need anything?”

He blinks, which means he does, but I don’t ever know what it is it actually means so I give him some broth and hold his hand for a second and leave, turning off the lights.




  
NATE


They gave me pills, they did, but I didn’t swallow them. I’d make the gulping sound, hide them under my tongue when they made me open my mouth, and then go to the bed they had planned for me.

This was what they called a “rookie mistake”.

Some told me that there was nothing to do but swallow, otherwise they would eventually find out and something worse would happen.

But now I see them sitting there like buzzards, building a case for themselves to die, or just die. Those were the choices given. When the nurse gave me the pills, she touched my cheek and smiled, like what she was doing was something good and to her it was good. To her, it was her blessing.

I gulped and opened my mouth and smiled.

When she left, I spit the pills out in my hand and she came back and slapped me hard.

“You take the pills like you’re supposed too!” she yelled, still smiling.

She grabbed the already soggy pills in my hand and stuffed them back into my face. She told me to chew, and waited, watching me chew, until the pills were down in my stomach and I felt like I was drowning and couldn’t breathe.

“That’s the good boy,” she said. “That’s the good boy.”

She left the room and my eyes rolled back. I coughed but nothing came up. I coughed again and nothing came up again.

I cough and cough and drown in my coughing and then the doctor comes in and shows me pictures and I cough and the picture changes and I cough and the picture changes and changes and I cough and I cough and the picture changes and I cough and cough and cough and the picture changes and I cough and then I gasp and then the picture changes again.

The picture changes, I cough, I gasp, and can’t remember whatever next.





OLIVER


Susan said there was a problem with Nate, that she had to take matters materially.

She said there was going to be a bit of cleanup and that I should bring a bucket.

I ask her:  “What kind of bucket? What should I expect?”

She says:  “Whatever kind of bucket you have.”

I washed out the bucket I had. It had some blood and vomit and stuff in it, so it took two rinsings to get it clean again. I filled it up with some warm water and carried it into Nathaniel’s room with a mop in the other hand and a sad face.

He seemed too soon to be needing this. But nothing surprises me anymore.

Nathaniel had thrown up some blood on his bed. He had shit his pants too, which somehow slipped down onto the floor. He had bruises, but they always have bruises, and that’s not nothing a mop can clean up.

I clean up what I can, calling him a queer every time I smell his shit, which is often.

“Faggots have the smelliest shits you know,” I say to him, but he stays quiet. I wonder if he’s alive but then think it doesn’t matter. There’s gonna be another one any day now anyways.

I don’t know why I got this job, other than needing the money and they offered me money. I would normally say no to touching queers, any given day, but the day I got the job I thought money was more important and so I let it all go, at least for the job. I thought the doctors were doing a good job here, doing good at getting rid of the queerness and all. It might hurt, might make my job harder, more cleaning and all, but they do what they do for the greater good and I’m proud to be a part of it all.

Anyways, these queers look at me like I’m helping them, and I am. That’s what Christians do and that’s what makes people good, getting rid of the bad and change it to good. The good in all of us, here totally welcome and all that. Totally welcome to change the bad for the good and that’s good and well that makes me good in the eyes of our lord and savior.

I’m the savior of the sinned to make them good again. Like children.

It hurts to know that sin exists.





MICHAEL



I lay here and feel nothing, even with my hands between my legs.

He was the sweetest thing that ever I saw. I can still remember him even if nothing comes of it. But only a lot came of it, just when I came.

I picked him up at a bar that I used to go to a lot, a place that was quiet about it, us being it. You know, the kind of place where you could get a drink and get your dick sucked, both at the same time. I would go to those places looking for hot trade, but usually just found the same old lonely faggot that would sip his gin like a jap jumps at ginger.

He told me his name was Jax and I shoulda known better. But he was smokin’ and I put my hand on his leg and asked if he wanted a drink.

“That’s OK,” he said. “I always like a guy that’s chivalrous.”

I wasn’t intending to be chivalrous, only just to get laid.

Halfway through his drink, I could tell he was hard.

I remember wanting to know how his balls felt in my mouth, but I can’t say for certain anymore.

As they say here, “What is it about a man that makes you want him? What is it about yourself that you lack that the other one has?”

I always said to them:  “It’s California. What else do you expect me to do?”

They just told me that I was queer and queers needed to be cured. So I was here, a queer, waiting to be cured. 





SUSAN




I held the cup in my hand a few minutes, I think, before giving them to him. I held the cup and then gave it to him.

He took it and then took the cup of water I held before swallowing them. He swallowed them.

I looked at him with pity, I have to say. The way he grimaced at the way he swallowed. He seemed like a nice enough guy, and shouldn’t be here, but what was I to do? I didn’t get paid to fee pity. I got paid to push him pills.

Michael was always my favorite. I felt sorry for him because he knew what was happening to him and didn’t like it. I really didn’t like it either, but that’s what we do here. Not like anything.

There was one time when I asked him if he needed any pain medication, just after the surgery, and he said “you mean something that would just kill me?” and my heart stopped and I didn’t know what to do and so I touched his forehead and said that I just wanted to help. He closed his eyes and said I had done enough and that I should just leave the room. I didn’t leave the room and after an hour or so he opened his eyes and said “you still here, then?” and I said yes. He said if I wanted to do something I could bring him a cup of tea and then I did.

He took two sips of the tea and on the third one he spit it right out at me and smiled.