Thursday, October 17, 2013

OVERHEARD WHILE IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM (MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL, NYC, 2012)








Stop being a disaster!

What happened was:  I was at the zoo with my father. And then my father was gone. And now I’m here and I don’t know how to get out of here.

Daddy…daddy…are we in the clear?

Daddy, I see you are you here!

Oh no. Oh no.

My daddy was here and he wasn’t and he isn’t here and don’t touch me, don’t make this worse! The zoo was far from home and we were looking at monkeys. Monkeys like you! I had a banana. I had a banana and the monkey wanted the banana and daddy said no so I ate the banana.

I went potty and daddy was gone and I was here. Where is here? Don’t touch me! Where is here?

Daddy, touch me. Make me feel like a girl. Give me a banana. Give me a treat. Oh no, oh no. Who are you? Where’s my daddy? What have you done with my daddy?

Where is the zoo from here?

Fear? Oh no, oh no. Fear?

Oh dear.