Monday, September 16, 2013

A Conversation With a Woman Who Hurts For Gravestones











Eclectic compromise, she says, is the mainstay of routine. She says, There are things that do not tailor to the facts, and that, she says, is what makes the abundance of arbitrary facts, in fact, fact. If you tell me you want to make love to me, she says, I might want to make love to me too. And that’s too desperate to imagine. She says, I get frustrating only to be looking at the left hadn of the screen and somehow always reading the wrong right on the left hand of the scree. She said there has to be a better way for us to accumulate our ideas or actions about ideas enough to make a simple act of finding a new pen with ink even easier to do than to draw, she says. She says The color in your bed makes me queasy, and leaves it at that until brunch time. 


What is the function of forgetting? she asks. What are the worthy brothers of a low enough function to keep things working, but rank enough to stink up the house at night? Are there any alternatives that we can stuff in our pockets that wont make our hands bleed dry when we have nowhere else to put them? She says I think there is a real reason, something that makes sense most to me, and that is pure expulsion:  of fluids, and feces, ideas that can only roll back up and over to the other two. There is love, which by any standard measure seems more like shit pretending to be ideas pretending to be fluid. She says I think about the low and the nuts and the beach of it and it all spreads out, all of it. She says, I want a body to be a wall and not a whale, even though a whale is something that lives.


She says she likes fives and dimes but not pennies or nickels.

She says, I once won a pony race and the ribbon I got ripped and so I didn’t win anything.

She says, Things almost seem the most nightmarish right when it’s almost night.

She says she hasn’t been to Baltimore.

I haven’t been to Baltimore.


She says, I have never gone into this house alone, and yet I know the sheets, soft like milk but a little bit sticky like honey, and reach my legs deep against them and do I can to keep from coming. The weather is a few moments, leading, she says. She says, The room with the bath red light on always frightened me, always mocked me, until I took a shower. I knocked on the door and seldom saw who you brought to stay in the bed next to mine but would hear her whistling and wondering each time you went to the bathroom. You always returned smelling nice and a little bit sinister, she said. A memory of six o’clock breakfasts and you breaking them. You would down your words as an expression of sympathy and I would sip my coffee and say how stupid I was I couldn’t do the crossword puzzle, she said.


Am I to opine about the inherent genders of various umbrellas? she says. Am I to allow myself the idea that cheap, twisted bars and wires that litter the streets turned inside out are somehow feminine, while the long thick sturdy bands of the powerful barrel through the world, nature the least of his worries? She says, I once was given offer to stand under one of these magnificent tentpoles, and the gentleman holding it fondled my breast for a minute before I got wet. She says, The walk home did little to entice me towards shelter; in fact it swore against such a bargain, and once home, still dripping, I drank as much water as I could hold before laying down and wetting the couch.


She says she ate this morning and isn’t hungry.

She says, I have a heart condition that requires pills in the morning.

She says she takes the pills in the morning.

I believe her, though I wonder what pills she is speaking of.

I like to sleep when I’m not dancing, she says. Wanna dance?


You live like you’re in Paris and yet you’re dried like in Spain, she says. I’ve retained a fixed image of memory and it’s so staunch squirrels cannot break it. She says, Under most situations, I prefer to to take the larger number that is in front of the zeroes. So, for instance, I’d take $50 over $100 any day, since five is greater than one. She says, Guys like playing with numbers, so I play guys like numbers and there’s no number greater than zero. I treat a handshake like a malted and think of my grandmother every time I meet a new man. She says, what makes you think you know more about death than I do?

I say I don’t and shut the door, only really hearing her cry once I hit the second floor.